New interactive tourism campaign for Germany makes it up as it goes along
Published on November 04, 2011 from Tourism NZ
Tourism New Zealand’s latest campaign in the German market entered a new phase this week with the arrival of comedian Bernhard Hoecker to New Zealand on a trip that will be directed by his followers.
Popular Bernhard Hoecker is embarking on a nine-day tour around New Zealand participating in activities as voted by his German You Tube, Facebook and Twitter followers.
The promotion received more than 6,800 suggestions on activities for him to do from joining in on a Haka to baking volcano bread on White Island. Followers then voted on which suggestions they liked best.
Videos of his experiences, complete with his personal commentary, will be posted on Tourism New Zealand’s travel website, newzealand.com and Bernhard’s own social media channels.
The “Hoecker discovers New Zealand” trip is all part of Tourism New Zealand’s latest campaign to engage with active considerers in Germany, personalise the New Zealand 100% Pure you message and encourage travelers to book a holiday.
Tourism New Zealand’s General Manager Marketing Communications Justin Watson says the campaign is designed to showcase all the amazing experiences that are on offer and present New Zealand as a popular and fun destination.
“Through this campaign, we have invited Bernhard to provide his own “guided tour” of New Zealand from top to toe, experiencing the activities that his German compatriots want him to do.”
Through online channels, Bernhard viewers can follow and interact with him as he experiences the trip of a lifetime.
“Having followers make suggestions on activities, and then voting on what Bernhard should do gets them thinking about what they would do during their New Zealand holiday.”
For more information on the campaign and to view suggestions made, visit our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/purenewzealand?sk=app_151251801627067
Notes on the campaign
- The “Hoecker discovers New Zealand” campaign is only open to German residents and is being completed in German.
- Every user that makes a suggestion goes into the draw to win a return flight for two, to New Zealand on Singapore Airlines.
- For the past decade Bernhard Hoecker has appeared on popular German television and comedy shows. He has also acted in numerous films, including the German translation of Shrek Forever After, providing the voice of Rumpelstiltskin.
Notes on the German market
· Germany is New Zealand’s second-largest European visitor market.
· Some 65,000 Germans have visited New Zealand in the year-end September 2011.
· Average length of holiday stay: 41.7 days (year end Sept 2011)
· Average expenditure per visit: NZD3,718 (year-end June 2011)
· Total expenditure per annum: NZD 236m (year-end June 2011)
The campaign is a fully integrated marketing, trade and public relations campaign.
Tourism New Zealand has partnered with airlines to provide promotional offers for the duration of the campaign, and with local New Zealand operators and operators based in Germany to put together travel packages.