Westpac Northland Business Excellence Awards for 2011
Published on November 01, 2011 from Northland Chamber of Commerce
Westpac Northland Business Excellence Awards for 2011 took place at Thirty 3 Event Centre on Friday 28th October. Entrant numbers were up on last year’s Awards with 45 Northland businesses competing in 11 business categories.
Wynn Fraser Paints was the Supreme 2011 Westpac Northland Business of the Year and also took out the Golden Bay Cement Excellence in Construction Manufacturing and Trades Category and ACC Workplace Safety Award.
The judges said...
Wynn Fraser Paints has developed and maintained a high standard of business management practices across the board, with exceptional focus on customer care. They are a trusted Northland brand which has a solid reputation. In difficult times they have focused on building customer loyalty through added value services. Despite the economic downturn, they continue to invest in their staff and in the business.
Explore NZ was the winner of the Destination Northland Excellence in Tourism Category.
The judges said…
The challenges within the tourism sector are many, and the competition significant. While all entrants in this section portrayed a level of excellence, Explore NZ was able to demonstrate for the Judges a business model that approached barriers to business as opportunities, and a number of examples were provided where barriers to the business had realised a value.
The use of cooperation and innovative – outside the square solutions had improved revenue stream opportunities, and the continued review of these opportunities is positioning the business strongly into the future.
The business model allowed for replication, and for many businesses, the ability to replicate is a significant factor behind the ability to grow. The model was viewed by the Judges as being key in expansion opportunities, and improving the visibility of Northland back into New Zealand
Explore NZ was also the winner of the Northland Regional Council Sustainable Business Award.
The judges said
Explore NZ have lead the way in sustainability within the tourism sector. The business demonstrated to the judges that Explore NZ has taken the lead role in this category.
They have taken sustainability to another level. Throughout the judging process they have demonstrated business is being built on a long term sustainable platform
Explore NZ work very closely with their local community and local authorities to ensure they can continue to remain sustainable in the future. They are involved in conservation projects and work alongside community and conservation board.
The Judges felt that Explore NZ is able to tell a sustainable northland story to the rest of the world
Tony Collins from the Northland Chamber of Commerce said that the awards were a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the success of many Northland businesses. These enterprises were of varying size and often very different structure and scale. The one thing they all had in common was their passion for what they were doing and their commitment to succeed.
Other winners were
- Silver Fern Farms Dargaville - winner of the Refining NZ Excellence in Business Category.
- Oceans Resort Hotel - winner of the Business Coaching New Zealand Best Emerging Business Category.
- Steve Haywood Master Jeweller - winner of the Scene Magazine Excellence in Retail Category.
- Doubtless Beauty - winner of the Henderson Reeves Connell Rishworth Excellence in Professional Services Category.
- Educare North - winner of the Fuji Xerox Excellence in Technology, Education and Communications Category.
- Sport Northland - winner of the Northland Chamber of Commerce in Not-For-Profit Category.
- Steve Haywood Master Jeweller - winner of the Creative Northland in Excellence in Arts Business - Individual
- Quarry Arts - winner of the Creative Northland in Excellence in Arts Business - Commercial
- Jennian Homes Northland - winner of the Roadsafe Northland Workplace Safe Driving Award.
- The Northland Regional Council Sustainable Business category was awarded to Wynn Fraser Paints.
- Chic Consultancy took out the Regional Business Partnership Judges Choice Award.
- Oceans Resort Hotel was voted More FM Customer’s Choice
The Northern Advocate Business Hall of Fame inductee this year was Dave Culham of Culham Engineering in recognition of his contribution to Northland business.
More Info: Tony Collins Northland Chamber of Commerce 09-4384771 027-4441010